Laboratory for Percutaneous Surgery
“People rarely succeed at anything unless they have fun doing it” - Dale Carnegie
I completed my undergraduate with “first class grade” at the Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal University, India. Manipal University is amongst most well known universities in India due to its rich cultural environment, infrastructure and researches going on. In my final two years, I achieved a GPA of 81%. I was honoured with two letters of appreciation for my academic performance from the Iranian Students Association of India. In addition, I twice received the Award for Academic Excellence from the Iranian Ministry of Science and Technology. I won the First Prize award in a national level student paper presentation contest at Anna University, India, Sept 2008.
Before I began my Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science and Engineering at Manipal University, my interest in intelligent machines and computer vision had already began. Throughout my undergraduate program, I pursued my interest in image processing by volunteering with several related research initiatives. Having the chance to complete my final semester while working in the field, I secured a six month, full-time research assistant position. Working with Dr. Robert Laganiere at the University of Ottawa, my main project focused on the implementation of an effective and natural virtual navigation system in image-based renditions of real environments. I was also recruited to participate in an additional project that focused on the implementation of intelligent surveillance systems, built upon computer vision.
At an open house event at the University of Ottawa I was struck by the prospects of image processing in telesurgery. Ever since, my focus has been on medical image computing. Currently, I am undertaking a Master of Science at Queen’s University. My thesis is on ultrasound image pose recovery using line fiducials, with application to 3D reconstruction and registration of ultrasound and pathology images. I collaborate with fellow graduate students and software engineers. While at Queen’s University, I have achieved an average of 86%. I have received the Queen’s Graduate Entrance Tuition Award and the Queen’s graduate award.
My foundation is as a developer, in multiple languages, on many platforms. If the situation requires a code to be created, I deliver clean, readable, reusable, working code, quickly and correctly. I also have experience in learning and excelling at new technologies as needed. I am comfortable with structured code, Object Oriented programming, databases, and a wide array of other computer applications. I have every confidence that to the extent the position requires actual coding, I will meet any challenge presented.
While much of my programming experience has been within the scope of the academic field, I have also had an industrial background in the past and feel that I have a good business sense in the industrial environment. I have held on-call software development and maintenance positions that required me to resolve technical issues and implement technical enhancements; though a high stress and fast paced atmosphere, I thrived and it has enriched my technical skill set and expertise.
Equipped with BEng and MSc degrees in Computer Science, I have a solid understanding of the full life cycle of a software development project. My experience includes but is not limited to:
• Experience in Windows application development as well as web development
• Programming both new applications and maintenance work
• Designing the software and database architecture and coding the software from scratch
• Developing an existing code or software further to meet the supervisor/client demands
• Extensive software quality testing and debugging, implementing new design and functional enhancements
• Application and requirement analysis according to clients needs
• Process improvement and documentation
• Experience in setting up subversion control and working on a source code as a member of a team
The key strengths that I possess for success in this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• I have successfully designed, developed, and supported live use applications.
• I am a self-learner in software programming and am constantly adding new software languages to my repertoire and skill set.
• I believe in solid communication and teamwork with supervisors, colleagues, and clients.
• I always strive for continued excellence, strong work ethic, integrity and have a positive attitude.
In addition, the academic field experience has made me capable of finding self-directed innovative solutions as required. Please see my resume for additional information on my experience.